Sunday, November 13, 2011

31 Weeks: Comfort Zone


Well, that baby belly is a dead giveaway that life is becoming less comfortable!  :)

Praise:  the baby is very healthy and doing well.  Doctor visits are smooth and Baby Mildren's heartbeat is strong.  He is kicking all of the time it seems, which is pretty fun! According to 'What to Expect When You're Expecting,' at 31 weeks, he is roughly 18 inches long and weighs more than 3 pounds.  That said, he is growing, growing, growing, and so am I!

Creature Comforts -- where did they go?


Sleep Interrupted:  I am a hard-core stomach sleeper, and up until just this week, I've managed to stick to my normal sleeping patterns...this week, though, being on my stomach crushed my lungs (and baby?), and I gave in and opted for the side sleeping option, which isn't nearly as comfortable, no matter how many stupid pillows I cram around me.  Grrr!

Pick Up:  Bending over is now a hassle, and I have to ask myself how much I really need to pick up something off of the ground, or whether or not I should put it on the ground in the first place...it's not that it's painful, it just feels, well, squished for breathing and belly room.

Shoe-tying:  Putting on socks and shoes is about as fun as bending over to pick something up, and I've gone from leaning down to tie my shoes, to now employing the Mr. Rogers method of crossing my leg over my knee and going about the whole business from an elevated angle.

Exercise:  Sad but true, walking for exercise is still leaving me with a lower side ache, so I'm stuck with the elliptical or stationary (worse yet, recumbent) bike.  These are both machines that I dislike in general, but they seem to be good options for now.

Feeling the burn:  The heartburn has restricted my diet somewhat, and I am eating less in general at one time (this is a major hardship, I like food!), and less spicy foods to alleviate the heartburn.  But the Prevacid is doing most of the heavy lifting on that front! ha!

....I still manage to sneak in that daily cup of coffee on the way to work, there are just some necessities I can't let go of!

3 comments:

skenny said...

I appreciate the blow-by-blow account, having never experienced what you are experiencing.
Thanks for keeping us updated. Love the sleeping frustration. I can picture you dealing with that, and James trying to sleep while you're dealing with that. Ha!
Dad Steve

James said...

Hilarious post Beth!

If it gets really bad, we'll get you some velcro shoes. And if it gets awful, I'll help you put them on. = )

Kristin said...

Ha! Pat definitely had to help me put my shoes on from time to time. And heartburn for me meant a baby with a full head of hair. You look beautiful, Beth!