This has by far been the best week of my pregnancy! I waas able to spend the majority of my time reading and catching up on sleep--not bad, huh? My mom drove through at the beginning of the week, and got Baby Mildren the first baby Jayhawk gear!
Rock Chalk Baby Hawk!
I have had plenty of time this week to read some pregnancy and baby books. I've learned a lot. Neither James nor I have ever been around young children or babies. We were both the youngest, and we weren't interested in babysitting. We can't remember when/if we've ever even changed a diaper. So I figure it is a good idea to learn as much as possible about newborns and babies before I don't have time to do all the reading.
Books this week:
This was a good book covering pregnancy-through the first year. It had lots of excerpts from moms, with no judgment passed.
This book was very motivating to keep me exercising! While I have been a little frustrated that I am not as fit as I was, say, 14 weeks ago, I definitely enjoyed reading about exercise possibilities through pregnancy. I plan on keeping up the running, weight lifting, and biking as long as healthfully possible. Yes, I'm still teaching my indoor spin class at the gym and running 2-3 miles a day (not as fast, obviously!). I even did some yoga this week, though I was disappointed in my lack of flexibility; I had heard that pregnancy loosens the joints and ligaments. Not mine!
I found Eat Sleep Poop to be the most informative, common sense, non-alarmist, and calming of all the books. It was written by a first-time dad and pediatrician. The overall point: If it isn't bothering the baby, don't let it bother you. I am recommending this book to James. I felt much more confident about newborns after reading this.




2 comments:
Beth,
I LOVE that you're doing a blog and am obviously way behind on discovering it! I am so excited to "follow" you through your pregnancy. I got to see Julie's baby today and it rocked my WORLD...!!! Babies are such a gift. I am so happy for you and excited to read on!
Megan :)
So glad that you're feeling better! The only book I really read throughout my pregnancy was "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I found it helpful and used it mainly as a reference guide week by week. Once the little guy was here, we bought "Your Baby's First Year: Week to Week." This was another quick reference guide...but I had to remember not to compare Elijah to the examples in the book since all babies are different. Babycenter.com is a great resource as well. You're going to be AWESOME parents. It's clear that you're already in love, and so much of it will just come naturally as you get to know your little one. Excited for you and here for you if you need anything!
Post a Comment